The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

People almost dying is SO funny!

What is it about people getting hurt that is SO freaking funny? I can't figure it out. It's not just the sight of it, because it's not funny when it's fake, like slapstick comedy is so lame. Like the 3 Stooges? What the hell? How was that ever funny? One guy says something dumb and another guy calls him a "Chowderhead" and hits him on the head. But when somebody slips and bounces down a flight of stairs on their ass, I can't stop laughing. Or when a little kid wants something another kid has so he just jacks the kid in the face and takes it, OH MAN, that cracks me up! And nothing makes me laugh harder than when people on campus fall on their bike! It's too funny! I love going to sites like ebaumsworld and checking out the latest videos, because much of them are people falling or getting racked in the nuts. It's a basic human instinct to enjoy the misfortunes of others. Why do you think Jackass was such a huge success? Because the hosts were charming and witty??? Guess again, it's because we are strangely intrigued by somebody getting beat up. Everyone has a favorite story of their friend getting hurt. Personally, I love it when people almost die on trampolines, or as I like to call them, "Spring-loaded child injury machines." Who ever thought, "Let's give kids an aparatus that flings them several feet into the air, in the hopes that they land on back on it." and how did this thing get past toy safety boards? I've seen recalled items far less dangerous than trampolines. But then, maybe on the Consumer Product Safety Commission has the same sense of humor I do. It would be a shame to miss out on your friend flying off the side and into mud. That's funny. I think trampolines are actually helping society. Think of evolution and the theory of natural selection. Those less fitted for survival die off, eliminating chance of reproduction, so only the best at surviving pass on their genes. So when some moron tries to do a double backflip off a trampoline and ends up doing a one and a quarter, it's actually good for the species. My family has had a trampoline since I was little. I did all the flips and cartwheels and whatever stunts you can think of, but I never once got hurt. No one has ever gotten seriously injured on our trampoline, even when we had like four kids bouncing around at one time. And ours is old school too, none of these walls of netting and padding that go around trampolines today. We don't even have a pad over the springs. Once, when my parents weren't home, my brother and I pushed the trampoline over to the side of the house and I jumped off the roof onto it. It was a huge rush, and I knew how to control myself, so all that happened was I bounced incredibly high, and then I stopped myself the next time I landed. Could I have gotten hurt? Of course. Did I? No. Would it have been funny as hell if I had? OH YEAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home