The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The school year is 6 weeks too long

I have a complex where every year on my birthday I get into this rut where I just don't want to do anything for school. Don't want to open a book, or write a paper, or sit through classes. I just want to go camping. I love camping. Every year, my whole family goes to Meramec State Park in Sullivan, MO and stays there for about 10 days or so. This is something I look forward to all year. Seriously, on the ride home from camping I think, "Man, I can't wait to go camping next year." It's not a bother until my birthday. Every year, after March 24, for some reason I lose all motivation for school. I'll do just enough to keep the grades I have been earning so far. There is never an improvement. I know that this year camping is going to be amazing. Last summer was the funnest to date, and I have a feeling this year is going to be even better. Now when I tell people what camping is like, they usually think it sounds boring. Basically, every day is the same. Every day, my cousin and I:
1. Get up and eat breakfast
2. Float down the river
3. Eat lunch
4. Float down the river
5. Eat dinner
6. Float down the river
7. Hang out by the river until the sun goes down
8. Drink!
9. Go to bed as the sun comes up, ready to do it all over again the next day.
You may think that sounds monotonous and boring, but it NEVER is. Although every day is basically the same, SO MUCH random and funny stuff happens along the way that it never gets old. You meet the craziest people on the river, and there's no telling what you might see. And at night, the park becomes a totally different place! You meet some interesting folks out at the latest hours of the night. We've met a group of travelors who do nothing but smoke pot and camp at different parks around the country. We've met a professional fire twirler who put on a twirling show for us. We've met a 300+ lb. woman who tried to beat up one of my cousins after he mooned her (Well, she could've been trying to eat him, I'm still not sure). A pastor chased us with a Bible after some of his Catholic youth group girls snuck out to the beach with us. We appeared on a pirated radio station some guy was broadcasting out of his truck. And last year, I talked two 16 year old girls into jumping off a cliff into the river...NAKED. (Should I have gone to jail for that?) And the memories go on. I've been going there every year since I was a baby, so you can see how that place has become such an important place in my life. And that's why I can't wait to go back this year, and why I wish the school year had ended a week ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home