The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Last Day as a Punk

Tomorrow I turn the big 2-0. That means that today is my last day alive as a no good, punk teenager. It finally hit me today. I've been a teenager for the past 7 years, and in 6 hours, those wonderful days are officially behind me. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Because on one hand, I LOVED my teenage years. 90% of my fondest memories come from this time. And it felt so cool to get crazy and do bad stuff (use your imaginations, people). Because you know, I'm a teenage guy and I'm up to no good. That really was the mindset. Now when I get wild it'll be like, shouldn't I be figuring out what I want to do with my life? Because really, I don't know. 20 years have gone by, and all I have to show for it are some scars, chest hair, and a high school diploma. Now it's not like I'm upset. I know my life hasn't peaked, and I'm looking forward to the future. Getting out of college and taking on the real world is so daunting, but if there's one thing I love, it's bringing out my absolute best and rising to meet challenges. But Spring Break is upon us, and I'm going to take this time to forget about working towards my future and indulge in the instantly-gratifying pleasures that life has to offer. Because tomorrow is my birthday. What a way to start the break! And since I'm the only one of my buddies from back home who went away to college, I know they are going to have a party waiting for me, with the beers cold and the ladies hot. So as I look back at the past 7 years I think it's appropriate to send them off in a blaze of glory. I'm the last of my friends to turn 20, so a hard night of partying as my friends and I become drunken valkyries will send our teenage days out into Valhalla, the land of eternity. And then the next morning we'll return to earth, where there will be much suffering and gnashing of teeth...well, really more like groaning and barfing, but you get the symbolism. But don't expect any wise words from me directed toward any teens out there reading this. I'm not going to act like I discovered the meaning of growing up, because for one, I haven't finished growing up, and second, I spent most of my teenage days living for the moment and never paid attention to the lessons I could've learned. I guess the only thing I really learned is that I wouldn't change a thing. I hope everyone else has learned this too. So here it is, my last act as a punk teen:
Professor Strickland, this one's for you!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home