The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Relating to Peanuts

Dear Everybody,
I've come to a realization that I really identify with the Peanuts character, Pigpen. Remember that kid, with the scraggly hair and covered in filth? He wore old dirty clothes and actually spread his nastiness in a big cloud of dirt and hair and whatever else. Yeah, that's me. (You can find out which Peanuts kid you're most like with a fun quiz)I realized this on my own with assistance from my roommate, John J. Cleanfreak, who has been most helpful in pointing out my dirtball qualities. But Pigpen was not just some dirtball. He was a good person. He is smart and nice, and he is happily dirty. Pigpen sees past appearances and focuses on more important things. He's dirty, but not unsanitary, as he makes it a point to always keep clean hands. So maybe I don't shower every day, or maybe I wear the same clothes for days, and maybe I shed more body hair than a person should, but I like me. And I don't think I should have to adhere to society's standards. I have my own. You don't have to bathe every day just because everyone says you should. I shower whenever I think I need to. And I don't know about you guys, but I hate doing laundry, it costs MONEY, and nobody notices when you wear the same clothes. So what's the diff? And anyway, as humans, we live on the dirt. We touch it, and it sticks to us, naturally. Who am I to disrupt nature? It's not like dirt on your skin will kill you. Besides, as Pigpen said nobly, perhaps this is the dust of ancient civilizations.

To be totally honest, an overwhelming majority of people have actually responded positively. I wasn't sure about coming public with my "dirty" lifestyle, because my roommate constantly complains about it. But it's not that I stink, he really is a crazy germophobe(He's bad, I'll discuss it in another post, it's HILARIOUS) but I made a small comment on Facebook, and I got a huge response from people. They love it. It doesn't gross people out, they think it's funny or cool.
"You're a grade A creep with your pigpen speech, but it made me laugh."
-Erin Lakin (long time friend of mine)
"Oh, Steve. I'm encouraging you!"
-Lori McLaughlin (former co-worker)
"Steve, you furry little dirtball. Let's go live in a sty together!"
-Tanya Finners (a friend I met on vacation)
Most people have been supportive, and have actually come forward with their own testimonies. You'd be surprised how dirty we all are.


"Being dirty is practical. I'm never bothered by girls or mosquitos."
-Pigpen

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Teek said...

Right on, brother. But I would like to point out that I'm not a hippie. I'm not trying to be dirty to make some bold statement about nature and humanity. I just don't care enough to stay clean!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home