The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Columbia Steamroom Massacre

HOLY CRAP! Monday I had quite an interesting day at work. I work at the MU Rec Center, down at the equipment desk. It's really easy, I just sit around and check out towels and basketballs or whatever. Every day is pretty much the same....except Monday. I'm standing behind the desk, everything is going along like clockwork, when this Asian guy, I'd guess in his early 20's(but who really knows since Asian people don't age), comes up to me and says in broken English, "You have first aid?" And I'm like, "yeah, what's up?" and I get out the first aid kit. He says, "My finger is uhh...bleeding" so I'm like okay let me see. The man kind of falls on the counter and points to his foot. Hmm, he must mean his toe. I lean over the desk and look down to see he is standing in a pool of blood! I'm like "Oh my God." and call on the radio, "I need a supervisor to the equipment desk now." So I jump over the counter and grab a wheelchair for the guy to sit in. I put on latex gloves and start to check out this guys bloody mess of a foot. I wipe away much of the blood to see that he has badly split his skin between his pinky toe and the next one. I apply the proper medicine to the cut and apply a tourniquet but it just keeps bleeding, and has now gotten ALL over my gloves and steadily dribbling to the floor. My supervisor arrives and sees the mess, and comes to my rescue. He takes over and wraps the foot as best he can, although I think the guy needed stitches. I turn around to see a trail of blood leading from the locker room so I get new gloves on and get the blood cleaner. I clean up the trail from the locker room, but it keeps going. So I clean up the trail through the locker room, but it keeps going. I clean up the trail down the hallway to the pool, BUT IT KEEPS GOING! It led all the way to the steamroom, which is where he sustained his injury. Apparently he opened the door really hard and smashed it into his foot, tearing it open. What I can't figure out is why he didn't say anything to the lifeguards or anyone, he just made the very LONG walk to the equipment desk, leaving behind him a steady crimson river. Well in all it took me a good hour to clean up, and the guy went home, refusing serious medical attention. So listen to me: FOR YOUR SAFETY, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU OPEN A DOOR. Because if I have to clean up a bloody mess like that again, I'll kill you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home