The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

An Ode to Death

What do you think happens,
whenever we die?
Do we party in heaven,
while all our friends cry?

Should my death be so sad,
that it breaks all the hearts
of my family and friends
when my soul departs?

No, I actually think
that it should bring joy.
So don't shed a tear
for the death of this boy.

There's an old weird tradition
but it's not strange to me.
There's a celebration of death
in my family.

When an old person croaks,
why should it be sad?
We can look back and laugh
at the life that they had.

They're with God now,
or so we believe.
They're not upset
so why should we grieve?

My great grandma's wake,
oh what a great day!
The grown-ups got drunk
while the kids would all play.

By the end of that day
there were no hearts to mend.
She had lived a long life,
but it came to and end.

And when my grandma died
just this past summer,
her card was up,
not really a bummer.

It brought a family together
and each one of us shared
our own favorite memory
of the living-impaired.

We laughed, it was fun,
and nobody cried.
It's a great way to deal
with a loved one who died.

So I know when I go,
I want my wake to kick ass.
No boring sermons
from a preacher at Mass.

Think of my life
and the memories to share.
Because I'll be "living" it up
and I'll see you up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home