The Hamster's Wheel

Just a flow of my thoughts. A humble attempt to convey the theme that much of life is like a hamster's wheel, not all of our decisions are life-altering. Most of them don't really get us anywhere, but they're just fun.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Why my schedule sucks...

My schedule this semester sucks. It really does. It's probably because I didn't register for my classes until the last day before Thanksgiving break. Gee, Steve, why on earth did you wait so long, you ask? One reason: Keisha Duncan. Keisha Duncan is a useless, self-absorbed, seat warmer passing herself unconvincingly off as an advisor in Cornell Hall. I wanted to transfer majors out of business and into english, so I met with "the Dunc" to find out how that is done. When I told her I what I wanted to do, she said it was no problem and dropped me from the business school. She gave me a copy of my transcripts and sent me on my merry way. Little did I know that she had neglected to inform me of a very important document: the Transfer sheet. Here's where it gets messy. I go to register for classes, but I can't because my registration has a Dean's hold. Days go by as I flow through all the channels this school has, trying to figure out how to lift the Dean's Hold. Finally, I get some help when I ask an english advisor specializing in graduate students what I had to do. It was odd to me that this guy had the answers to my problem, since I'm not a graduate student and it's only my second year here. Assuming my old advisor already had me fill out a transfer sheet, this advisor said I had to fill out a Grad Plan because I'll be graduating next year. So he helps me finish my Grad Plan and tells me exactly where to go to turn it in. I rush there to turn it in because it's the day before Thanksgiving break and the person who takes them is about to go home for the day. I'm told I can't turn it in because I'm not in the system. I'm not in the system because I never properly transferred into the department i.e. I never filled out a transfer sheet. Then I'm told the deadline for transfer sheets had passed two days earlier. It boils down to this:
I can't register for classes because I have a Dean's hold...
which can't be lifted until I turn in my Grad Plan...
which I can't turn in until I fill out a tranfer sheet...
which I can't fill out because I waited too long and the deadline had passed...
which is because Keisha Duncan, for all her vast skills in the fast-paced world of advising, neglected to inform me of the existence of such a document!
The Grad Plan office pretty much told me, "GAME OVER. YOU LOSE." Oh, I don't think so. With fire in my eyes, I storm over to Cornell Hall to settle this vendetta I've just conjured up in my heart. I walked into Keisha Duncan's office and told her what's up. Big K tries to give me the run-around by telling me that the english department is in charge of me now. "Ha! I don't think so. I'm still in the business school, because you never had me fill out the transfer sheet, so you're still my advisor! Now just lift the Dean's hold and I'll leave." Then she tries the old "there's nothing I can do" approach. My response: "You better hope there is because I'm not leaving until you lift the Dean's hold." That one took her off guard. We sat there in silence for a few seemingly endless seconds, and then she got up and left. She came back a couple minutes later with another woman and a file. Keisha says, "Look, don't try and pin this on me because I got the file of everything that was said the day you met with me." I'm like, "Good! Read the file, because nowhere in it will there be anything said about a transfer sheet. And I'm not here to turn in my transfer sheet, I'll do that next semester. I'm here to get the Dean's Hold lifted so I can get my classes. Just give me what I want!" She reads the file, and the other woman, who I assume was her boss or something, sees that the incredibly knowledgeable and totally competent Miss Keisha, had indeed screwed me over big time. The woman tells Keisha to click on my name and hit F9 and Enter. She says, "Okay, the Dean's Hold is gone. Sorry for the trouble." F9 AND ENTER??!!?? That's all you had to do? I was so disgusted by the whole ordeal I just got up and left. I couldn't say anything because I think I was in shock. And so now you now, friends, why my schedule sucks. It was a long and frustrating road, but hey, it got some good laughs from my friends later on. So it was totally worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home